Monday, January 14, 2008

Hello, this is the "professor" from I love musica. My passion is singing. I am also a guitarist although not a great one. I play to accompany myself when I perform is public or for friends and some kind of gathering. Any excuse with do! I love to sing. I am over 50 so to many people I may be "over the hill." Nevertheless I have many things to share and many things to learn. And as for music , which is eternal and infinite, there will never be an end of things to learn or share One thing I would like to share is what I call "Pitch Speaking" There seemingly have been many vague references to this in many books on singing , but never a detailed explanation. The premise is that they is a greater or more important link between speaking and singing than is appreciated.
Also, it benefits both ENORMOUSLY. Therefore if you incorporate "Pitch speaking" to whatever else you practice you will make greater progress in a shorter period of time. The tone of your voice will improve. You will attain greater resonance and achieve the "middle voice" as your main tone. I argue or maintain that the many famous entertainer practiced one form or the other. Here are some names. Mel Blanc, Paul Harvey and Cornell MacNeil baritone of the
Metripolian and New York Operas. The Voice of Bugs Bunny was a musician, namely a bass player and part of a quartet. What he did with his voice is legendary! Paul Harvey entertained millions especially in the midwest with his "news" and his legendary final two words which spanned an Octave... and this has been Paul Harvey goooood daaay. It was his signature and his trademark. Mr. MacNeil I credit with giving me the nudge to really publicize this discipline when he said in a famous book of singing namely. Great Singers on Great Singing by Jerome Hines , Doubleday and Com. 1982. On page 147 he describes singing as "just imposing pitch to speaking" Hence, I got the term. In blog #2 I will give more details and examples . In the meantime, Try something hard like. Ba Ba Black sheep, Row row row your boat or Rock a bye Baby. First say it monotone (one) Then "Pitch speak " it. You can do it! and then sing it. As for me I pitch speak the songs I know and it prepares my vocal chords ot assume their proper share.. I also put words to tunes I know. For example on YOUTUBE I will demonstrate , G od willing, words to Lesson #3 in D by Fernando Sor. Type in ilovemusica and I should appear. You made also visit my website, if you like , at www.ilovemusica.com So until the next blog. May good music live on!

No comments: