Monday, January 21, 2008

Joe Pass where have you gone?

One of the goals of a music teacher, is o course, to impart something new and and of benefit to the student. Nevertheless, if the student finds the experience enjoyable, he or she will be more likely to stay "interested" in his instrument or voice. Making things simple and a relaxed atmosphere, created by a sense of humor helps. That where Joe Pass comes in. This super famous Jazz guitarist who gained the top spot after a famous accompaniment for Ella Fitzgerald in the the late 1970's was great at this. He made some lessons that can be seen on Youtube.
On his demonstrations of " jazz lines" of major and minor chord progressions, which for the beginner can be very complex and complicated, especially if you use chord names or chord extensions. There are basic chord names and extensions and you can improvise from there.
This is exactly what he says. The words "I like to keep it simple" may me realize that its important to always emphasize the basic or basic patterns chords or whatever you are talking about in music.
His great sense of humor is shown on one of those videos where is talk about the different way of tuning a guitar. After showing some various ways of doing it he finished this part by saying " and the final way, is to find a friend (fellow guitarist) to do it for you!"
Joe Pass "hit a chord" with me. A chord that sound great and is right on pitch. I was sad to find out that he passed away, although his works and ideas on Jazz are publicized in some books , Cd's, DVDs and videos.
Before I begin a teach lesson I have to refresh my memory and make a outline of what I am going to say. I want to leave something meaningful to my student. Joe Pass, where have you gone?
My name is Albert F. Sotelo I am a music teacher in north Georgia, originally from California. I have a on line store www.ilovemusica and some videos on Youtube. We carry music education materials . We can also find for you any specific material, method or author that you request. Thanks for reading and may good music live on!

No comments: